Saturday, August 13, 2011

Good Reason to Drink for People who don't even like Alcohol

Moving is a god damn nightmare. Getting a straight answer out of an international mover is harder than catching box jellyfish barehanded and not getting stung. How hard is it to really give a ballpark price. If you're a studio apartment looking to move to place X you can expect to spend around Y. The closest thing I've gotten to a straight answer on pricing is out of places like UPS, USPS, and FedEx, and they want $400 - 600 per box of stuff. I'm not even trying to move furniture. It's just roughly 2 bookcases worth of books, some game consoles, and 3 boxes of old toys. So it would seem, when I finally manage to talk to a human for a moving company estimate the price to beat is $14k USD, because that's what it would take to send the stuff I absolutely will not part with via USPS. If they can bring down the price to say $3-4K USD, I'm even willing to forgive the fact that shipping will take up to 6 months. Knowing how crappy things are however, I'll be lucky if they can do it for ONLY $10k in 6 months with little to no damage.

5 comments:

  1. 6 months for shipping? I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only economical way to move what amounts to a somewhat large RPG collection(about the only thing I will not give up), is via ocean freight. I've heard nothing but horror stories about this. Estimates of 45 - 65 days(fairly average) turning out to be 4 - 6 months. Given the fact that I am an eternal pessimist, I always expect the worst, thus, 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I hope that your stuff makes it to you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent a big box back to Canada from Australia by ocean freight. It weighed about 30 kilos, cost about 80 bucks, and took 3 months. But it was in perfect shape when it arrived.

    Books are pricey on OZ, though, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring the RPG books if you have them - they'd be expensive to replace.

    ReplyDelete