Saturday, September 8, 2012

Tank Update

After roughly 8 months of jack squat, work on the fish tank has started progressing(FINALLY!). The current profile for the tank is:

20 Gallon Long with black trim, on a black stand(pictures below)
30x12 Marineland LED Aquarium Hood(probably rubbish lighting, but it was cheap, and has night lighting, so I'm trying it)
Lots of Black Sand from Petco.
1 large piece of driftwood.
1 bunch "Standard" Java Fern(Microsorum pteropus)
1 bunch Crested Java Fern(Microsorum pteropus "Windelov")
2 bunches unknown Cryptocoryne species(looks like Cryptocoryne wendtii)
A whole mess of Java Moss(Taxiphyllum barbieri)
Evil Pond Snails of Doom that seem to show up any time you buy plants from anywhere.

Still looking for my aquarium heater and the potting soil I need so I can start setting up, but it should probably occur sometime in the next couple of days.

For the first month or so, the only inhabitants of the tank are likely to be Fernando, my insanely aggressive male Crown-tail Betta(Betta Splendens), and a trio of very young Clown Loaches(Chromobotia macrocanthus). I plan on trading or selling the Clown Loaches once they remove the snail problem. Clown Loaches grow much too large to live long term in a 20 gallon long, but their abilities as snail assassins are legendary. Currently, the animal life I would LIKE to keep in the tank, once it's set up and fully cycled:

Option 1: Team Red(aka, Team Expensive)
- Chili Rasorbas(Boraras Brigittae) x6
- Painted/Taiwan Fire Red Cherry Shrimp(Neocaridina heteropoda) x10
- Malaysian Trumpet Snails(Melanoides tuberculata) x I'm not even gonna bother trying to count.

Option 2: Team local(aka, team I bought em at the local shops!)
- Fernando(Betta splendens)
- Female Crown Tail Bettas(Betta splendens) x2
- Cherry Barbs(Puntius Titteya) x4-6
- Kuhli Loach(Pangio Kuhlii) x3
- Malaysian Trumpet Snails(Melanoides tuberculata)

I'll try to have some pictures up once I can figure out how to make the pics not suck!

1 comment: